Henry VII and Elizabeth produced three children, Arthur the eldest, Henry who in the future became Henry VIII, and Mary Tudor, the youngest. About five years after the birth of Mary Tudor, Arthur, the Prince of Wales, married Catherine of Aragon. Tragically, the year after, 1502, Arthur dies of some epidemic at Ludlow Castle. Using a papal dispensation later that year, Henry VII’s next son, Henry became the runner-up for the throne. The papal order also stated that Henry would be married to Catherine of Aragon to keep their dowry and political order with Spain. Aragon at the time was on of the largest Spanish kingdoms. So King Henry VII knew that it was crucial to maintain some sort of alliance with them. In the year 1503, Henry VIII marries Catherine of Aragon and upon King Henry VII’s death, Henry VIII succeeds the throne. As for the youngest, Mary Tudor, she ends up being the Queen of France.
King Henry II,
ReplyDeleteThough I was not able to become an acquittance with you during your life, I thought you should know the great impact your son had on me. Through him I was able to achieve the religious reforms that I had discussed with my late wife. Even if Henry VIII was a mad womanizer with no other real concern other than power and having a heir, you should know that in the hands of your son, England evolved into a modernized and civilized country. Thank you.
Thomas Cranmer
Dear King Henry VII,
ReplyDeleteWhen I first heard of England in turmoil, I was shocked becuase I have heard of unity in England. However, as a succeeding country, I Isabella of Castile, advise you to manage your country a little better. Maybe in the future, your successors will allow England to be able to compete with us but until then please try to keep it stable before it really falls.